Bruce McPherson was elected to the Santa Cruz County Board of Supervisors in November 2012. He represents the Fifth District, which includes the San Lorenzo Valley communities of Felton, Ben Lomond, Brookdale, Boulder Creek, Lompico, Zayante, Las Cumbres, Mount Hermon, most of Scotts Valley, a small part of Santa Cruz, and Paradise Park.
Bruce has a long and distinguished record of serving Santa Cruz County. A fourth-generation Santa Cruz County native, Bruce's career began as a reporter at his family newspaper, the Sentinel, later rising to Editor.
He served two terms in the California State Assembly (1993-96) and two terms in the California State Senate (1996-2004). Following the resignation of California’s Secretary of State in early 2005, Bruce was confirmed unanimously in both the Assembly and Senate to be Secretary of State. He was recognized as Legislator of the Year by numerous organizations and foundations.
Throughout the years, Bruce has worked closely with Second Harvest Food Bank, the Land Trust of Santa Cruz County, the Cabrillo College 50th Anniversary Scholarship Committee, United Way, the Tannery Arts Center, Ecology Action, the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary and Exploration Center, American Red Cross, and many other non-profit agencies.
He has been honored for his dedication and commitment to improving education, supporting public safety, fighting for environmental protection, and assisting small businesses.
Supervisor McPherson represents the Board of Supervisors on the following regional agencies and boards:
- Advisory Council – Area Agency on Aging
- Association of Monterey Bay Area Governments Board of Directors
- California State Association of Counties Board of Directors
- Child Welfare Services System Improvement Plan Steering Committee
- Conference and Visitors Council Board of Directors
- First 5 Commission
- Highway 1 Construction Authority
- Library Financing Authority (Alternate)
- Santa Cruz City/County Library Joint Powers Board
- Santa Cruz County Regional Transportation Commission
- Santa Cruz Metropolitan Transit District Board of Directors
- Successor Agency of the Scotts Valley Redevelopment Agency Oversight Board of Directors
- Treasury Oversight Commission